History is Calling
The History of Nazareth and of early America unfolded at the Ephrata Tract, and its buildings: The Gray Cottage, the First House, and most notably, the Whitefield House. The Whitefield House in its nearly 275-year history has variously served Nazareth as a worship site, a war sanctuary, a nursery, a residence, a place of public gathering, and, for the past century, a site for impressive exhibits of artifacts and memorabilia.
The Moravian Historical Society, Founded in 1857, is the Third oldest historical society in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. For generations the Whitefield House has preserved the Moravian Historical Society’s most precious objects: paintings by John Valentine Haidt, the oldest American made violin, priceless books and archival materials, mission artifacts from five continents, and one of nine remaining organs by David Tannenberg.
We now stand at the crossroads of our own history. The Ephrata Tract has always been the heart of Nazareth and a new vision of the Ephrata tract promises to make it the center of 21st-century Nazareth. A forward-looking Board of Managers has unanimously approve a plan to refurbish the Ephrata Tract with newly landscaped grounds and walkways, a re-constructed First House (that will serve as a multi-media visitors’ center,) a music pavilion for public events, and a renovated Whitefield House with modern amenities.
We have a responsibility to preserve this magnificent property for future generations. You will have an opportunity to participate.
We are pleased to be the recepient a grant from the Lehigh Valley Community Foundation in the amount of $15,000 to improve the ADA compliancy of the front entrance of the 1740-1743 Whitefield House.
A large portion of the 1740 Gray Cottage roof replacement is supported by a grant from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, a state agency funded by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Contact us for information on sponsorship or donation opportunities.